Cheddon Fitzpaine | SEN School Offer
page-template-default,page,page-id-10342,page-child,parent-pageid-11163,edgt-core-1.0.1,,hudson-ver-1.8, vertical_menu_with_scroll,grid_1200,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive

Parent Information

Our job is to help your child achieve the very best they can at school.

This is to inform you of the types of support available to your child at Cheddon Fitzpaine Church School. It will help you to understand who can help and how this support can be accessed.  This is linked to the Somerset Core Standards, a framework which describes the entitlement of children and young people in Somerset schools.  In our school, all SEND falls under the six categories of; Cognition & Learning Needs, Communication & Interaction Needs, Physical, Medical & Alternative Communication Needs, Hearing Impairment, Visual Impairment and Social, Emotional & Mental Health Needs.


  1. How do you know if a child needs extra help?

All children at Cheddon Fitzpaine Church School are monitored closely by their Class Teachers.  This is done through regular monitoring and assessment and termly Pupil Progress Meetings to discuss individual needs and progress.  We have developed a graduated response to identifying children with needs.  Initially this is completed by the class teacher to ensure needs are being met within the class.   If the Class Teacher feels the child still isn’t making the required progress, they will be discussed with the Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo).  Assessments may be carried out and if necessary an Early Help Assessment will be required to refer to external agencies with the consent of the Parents/Carers.  If Parents/Carers have any concerns they should see the Class Teacher in the first instance.  Teachers are available for brief discussions at the beginning or end of the day.  An appointment can be made if a more detailed discussion is needed.


  1. How will the school support my child?

Your child’s education will be overseen by the Class Teacher.  They will oversee, plan and work with each child with additional needs in the class to ensure that progress in every area is made.  Our SENDCo co-ordinates all support and progress of any child requiring additional needs across the school.  There may be a Teaching Assistant (TA) working with your child either individually or as part of a group.  If this is additional to the inclusive support given in the class, these sessions will be explained to the Parents/Carers when the support starts, during Parents’ evenings and during Pupil Passport meetings where the child, parent and teacher set targets for the term ahead and assess and review the targets from the previous term.


  1. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All work within class is pitched at an accessible level, so that all children are able to make progress according to their specific needs.  Typically, this might mean that in a lesson there would be different levels of work set for the class, however on occasions this can be individually differentiated.  Groupings of children can change regularly according to needs and understanding.


  1. How will I know how my child is doing?

The school uses Scholarpack, which tracks the children’s progress with core subjects.  Interventions are also tracked and monitored for impact and how successful they are. There are Parents’ evenings in the Autumn and Spring terms and reports are written in the Summer term.  Children looked after, will have a termly PEP meeting between the Carers, Social Worker, Virtual School, Teacher and Designated Teacher to plan and review targets that support the child’s development.  Adopted children will have a termly EPAC meeting between the SENDCo, Teacher, Parents and Social worker to plan and review targets to support children throughout the year.   In addition to this, children with complex needs or in receipt of an Education, Health and Care Plan will have an Annual Review meeting to inform and plan for next steps.


  1. What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing, including emotional and social development?

In addition to support received for academic subjects, there is a range of pastoral support available.  We use the Jigsaw PSHE scheme, which helps children develop their personal and social skills, as well as giving them access to health education.  We run sessions to help children express their feelings and also run an ELSA programme, which helps children manage their emotions.  There is always the opportunity for any child to talk with a trained adult over any concerns and anxieties.  We are currently in the process of developing nurture provision for children to help manage their anxieties and concerns in a calm, safe space.   Specific support plans will be put into place for children experiencing difficulties with behaviour and those needing medical support or intimate care. All children have access to a trusted adult who they can talk to.  Children’s views are expressed through pupil questionnaires, school council meetings and 1-1 interviews.

What specialist services are accessed by the School?

When a child has a specific need, we can access county services such as Educational Psychology, Learning Support Services and Learning and Behavioural Advisors (listed below).  We also access advice for physical impairments and medical conditions, including hearing and vision support.  We can access Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists via the NHS when needed.


  1. How accessible is the School environment?

The school site is wheelchair accessible.  There are changing and toilet facilities.  All children have the right to access class trips where ever it is safe for them to do so.  For those children with additional needs, alternative provision can be made, for example, additional adult support, alternative travel arrangements, or alternative arrangements for the administration of medicines.  For more information please see our separate Accessibility Plan.


  1. How will the School support my child’s transitions to a new setting?

Prior to starting in Reception, children identified as having Special Educational Needs will have a School Entry Planning meeting.  This will be attended by parents, pre-school staff, school staff and any external professionals involved in supporting your child.  It plans out how all concerned can make the transition to school as smooth as possible.  For children with medical needs, this will include identifying staff training needs to ensure your child’s needs are fully met.  All families will be invited to new parents meeting to gather information.  The Reception teacher and at times the SENDCo will also visit pre-schools to meet the children in a familiar setting.  All children will be invited to attend transition afternoons to ensure they are familiar with the staff and the setting in advance.  Home visits are also carried out in the Autumn term by our Reception Class teacher and Teaching Assistant.

On moving to Secondary School, children in Year 6 with additional needs are discussed with the SENDCo at the Secondary School once places have been allocated.  Additional transition visits can be organised by the Secondary School for children with additional needs.  If your child has complex needs, an Annual Review meeting will happen in the Summer term and a representative from the secondary school will be invited to attend.  The SEN policy provides further information.


  1. What training is provided for support staff who work with children with SEN?

All adults who work with individuals or groups of children on interventions will have received training to deliver the sessions.  These sessions are overseen by the Class Teacher and SENDCo to monitor the progress of the children. Where additional specific training is required to address a child’s individual needs, the School brings in external trainers to deliver this. On-going training and updates are delivered by the School SENDCo through regular meetings.


  1. How are the School’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN needs?

We ensure that the needs of children who have additional needs are met to the best of the School’s ability with the funds available.  This may include specialist equipment and/or facilities.  We also have a team of TAs who are funded from the SEN budget and deliver programmes to meet groups and individual needs.  The budget is allocated annually on a needs basis.  The children who have the most complex needs are given the most support often involving a TA.


Who do I see if I am worried?

  • Speak to you child’s teacher.
  • If you are still concerned, you can make an appointment to meet the SENDCo (Paula Goodchild) or Assistant SENDCo (Jo Strawbridge)
  • If you feel matters are still not resolved, you can make an appointment with the Headteacher to discuss your concerns.
  • If you still have concerns, you may contact Jason Woollacott, our Chair of Governors.

Further Support

We can make referrals to access  a PFSA (Parent, Family, Support Advisor) that will work with you and your family.  We no longer have direct access to a PFSA in school, therefore all allocations are decided by Taunton Deane Learning Partnership, who plan and organise the PFSA’s.

Who might work with my child?

A range of outside professionals might be called in to support the School in providing the best opportunities for every child.  These include:

  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Learning Support Advisory Teachers
  • Social, Emotional and Behavioural Advisory Teachers
  • Physical Impairment and Medical Support
  • Hearing Impairment Advisory Teachers
  • Visual Impairment Advisory Teachers
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Autism and Communication Advisors


For further information, contact details for these services and to access the Local Offer, please look at the Choices website for further SEND information:



For more information

Contact the School Office on: 01823 451335


Look at our school website: